It has been quite a long time since my last blog and this year's Easter Vigil was different indeed for me to shout out to the whole wide world !!! It was not the usual celebration at my hometown, Teluk Intan a.k.a Diamond Bay but at Ipoh, the hometown to tantalizing white coffee, the mystical drink that I would climb any mountains or fight any dragons in the dungeons (I know it's too flowery and a bit blowing the trumpet but I just had to confess openly looking at the level of addiction I have for the roasted Coffea arabica).
The celebration, to my suprise, turned from a long planned event to a sought-after moment in respect to the 40 days of abstinence by Christians during Lent at the much adored Our Lady of Lourdes, my mum's maiden parish, a famous landmark at Ipoh which rekindles back my old childhood memories where I used to go for mass with my lovely Aunt Philomena and her children, my wittiful-adventure loving cousins during primary school holidays. Those were the days in a glimpse of a moment and here I am, all dressed in my best to celebrate the coming of Christ the King at the face-lifted old church. It was definitely quite jittery passing by the parishioners who are total strangers whose eyes will be oogling at each other to look for who's who present there. Too me, a special celebration at church means more like attending a summer fashion at Paris since most of the youngsters will be in the latest trends; guys in the latest western attires accompanied with bizarre hair-do and belles in the most recent chudithars and sarees (can't catch up anything western as I attended the Tamil mass) which might have appeared in latest release of Tamil movies.
In the slightest gap me and my mum had inside the church, we were sinful enough to actually criticize the fashion faux pas (fashion crime in laymen term) made by some female and male parishioners ('Lord' Versace and 'Saint' Donna Karan, please forgive them) for parading in odd-scary colours and aged-old outfits which was best worn in the 90's. I wonder whether they realized or were very much carried away with their faith that they had disappointed a self-proclaimed fashion critic like me who with much high expectation looking forward for something extraordinary or at least lively enough to feast my sleepy eyes ( the mass started late and the long drive was unbearable).
Moving away from the horrible sight, I managed to console myself to focus into the Eucharistic celebration and was eager for the mass to end 'peacefully' especially after hearing the parish priest's heartful speech. After mass, my mum had a short reunion with her old childhood friend, the bubbly Aunty Grace who was extremely happy to have met her beloved old friend and also stole some of her time to say a word or two of advise to me, the eligible bachelor waiting-in-line for marriage. Next and next, did I had my eye candy after that? Yup, a bevy of beauties in breathtaking 'kanchipuram cotton' sarees did make my heart stop for awhile and left some fond memories for me to smile. With a contented heart, we left the church for a late dinner at one of the famous eateries at old town of Ipoh which used to be my mum's favourite spot to hang out when she was a young Ipoh resident. All I could say, this year, Easter was different, people were new and life is moving into a new phase...A definite YES to the comment by Oprah in the header...it's real..
Perpetual Helper
Perpetual Helper
No comments:
Post a Comment